Monday, August 10, 2009

Warfare and prayer.

In my quiet time reading this morning I finished Ephesians, Chapter 6 really spoke to me, again. It is so easy to think that we are fighting against people, that people are the problem. Paul points out that we are not wrestling against flesh and blood! I like his usage of the word wrestling, the word picture it brings to mind is powerful, Satan and his minions are grappling with us all the time. I pretty much grasp that but what I continuously fail to see is that he is doing that with and thru people. A lot of the time he uses people we love and care about, a lot of times he uses us against the ones that love and care about us!
Paul says in verse 10; my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of his might. In the Lord, in the power of His might! Only in the Lord can we overcome this wrestling match! I do not have the strength or the skill required to overcome the evil one on my own. I am not alone here, the Lord has promised me that He is with me always, that I need only believe and trust in Him and He will deliver me. I know this to be true in my life, when I put my trust in Him, when I believe - He delivers!
Wrestlers train, soldiers train. We need to train. There are exercises and equipment that are useful for training. The Father has not left us bare handed and ignorant - Praise His Holy Name! Verses 13 thru 17 provide us with the equipment and verse 18 is one of the primary exercises! Knowing our Lord takes time, we need to make the effort to know Him. We must talk with Him continuously. Notice I said "with" Him - not just to Him. Prayer is a critical part of living in the Lord. You can't read thru the Gospels with out seeing Jesus, our Lord and Savior, constantly praying to the Father - and He doesn't always do it alone! At the most difficult times of His mission here, He brings His closest friends with Him to watch and pray for Him! When we bring other believers into our prayer life we magnify the power of our prayers! When we come together on one accord to the Lord - He hears us!
We serve an awesome God, we too often underestimate His care and concern for us. I have to take, make the time to go to the Lord and put my life in His hands and ask Him to teach me who He is, and to trust that He will.... and he always does! Put your life down for a few moments, reflect on who God is and how much He loves you, ask Him to show you who He is and believe. Don't just read about Him - go talk to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment